County Coalition to use Community Impact funds to Deliver Coal to Oakland PortJuly 23, 2015
The Community Impact Board (CIB) set aside $53 million to help fund a railroad to transport hot, waxy crude from the Uinta Basin to refineries. It was decided that the $3 billion railroad was infeasible and the plan was scraped. Now the Board will use these funds to build a $275 million coal terminal at the deep water port at Oakland California for the international coal market.
The core mission of the CIB: "... is to mitigate socio-economic impacts resulting from natural resource development on federal lands." The intent of CIB funds are about helping rural communities improve their quality of life, and not about helping the bottom line of corporatations that turn profits from the burning of dirty fossil fuels.
WRITE AN eMail to the CIB board members (cut and paste):
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org Click here to write to: Ron Winterton
- October 2, 2015 - San Francisco Baykeeper files lawsuit against proposed Oakland Coal Terminal
- Click here to read the press release from the NGO coalition
- Click here to read the letter from the NGO coalition to Utah's Community Impact Board (CIB)
- Click here to read the letter from EarthJustice
- Click here to read the story in the East Bay Express by Darwin BondGraham
- Click here to read Jeff Holt's email to CIB.
- Click here to read letter from BMO Capital Markets to county commissioners
- CIB meetings, minutes and audio
- July 17, 2015 - Six County Infrastructure Coalition (CIB funding).
- List of CIB members
CIB REVENUE BY COUNTY
- August 25, 2015 - NGO coalition press release and letter to CIB
- August 13, 2015 - State CIB Rejects Jail Funding Request. Moab Sun News.
- July 21, 2015 - Plan to Send Coal Through Oakland Met with Protests. CBS News: San Francisco.
- April 28, 2015 - Coal Port Looks Like a Risky Venture. SL Tribune Editorial Board.
- April 27, 2015 - Utah Coal: California Here It Comes and Not Everyone Is Happy. Salt Lake Tribune.
- April 7, 2015 - Project Could Transform Local Coal Market to International. Richfield Reaper.
- December 8, 2014 - Leaders Drop Wells-to-Rails Plan For Uinta Basin Oil. Salt Lake Tribune.
- E and E
- Contra Costa Times: Oakland City Council packed for special hearing on controversial coal shipping proposal
- NBC Bay Area: Pollution, Health Concerns Over Plan for Coal Exports at Oakland Port
- KQED: Oakland City Council Moves to Block Coal at New Port Terminal
- CBS-Oakland (KPIX): Oakland Residents Weigh In On Proposed Coal Train Terminal
- SF Bay News: Coal shipments fuel heated Oakland debate
- Logistics Management: Crops, not coal, are best for Oakland
- East Bay Express: Live - Oakland City Council Hearing on Coal
San Francisco Biz Journal: Developer and activists ready for showdown over coal shipping at Port of Oakland
- San Francisco Events: Oakland -Public Hearing on the Health & Safety Impacts of Coal Exports in Oakland
- Patch: Hearing on Coal Experts from Port Draws Hundreds
- Inside Bay Area News: Drummond - A showdown over coal in Oakland
- Supply Chain 247
Talk about this article...