Kane Creek Preservation and Development Project at King's BottomJune 05, 2023
KANE SPRING IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT BOARD MEETINGS
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT: There is a public meeting on August 3, 2023 at the Grand Center that begins at 6pm. This hearing is about a permit application to construct an independent, on site sewage treatment plant at King's Bottom along Kane Creek Road and the Colorado River.
The developer is Kane Creek Preservation and Development, LLC (KCPD)
The extented comment period closes August 4th, 2023
AGENDA: From Utah Department of Water Quality (DWQ); the agency contact person is Jeff Studenka
- Open House for Discharge Permit Application for Utah Pollution Discharge Elimination System (UPDES) (sewage processing facility) for Kane Creek Development and Preservation, LLC.
- Informational session begins at 6:00 pm
- Hearing from to 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm on August 3, 2023
- Grand Center, Main Hall
- 182 N 500 W Moab, UT 84532
- Public Presentation by DWQ of Jeff Studenka at Moab on August 3, 2023.
- Recording of Public Hearing. Note: This recording was not edited and the proceedings do not begin until minute 53.
- Public Notice nd Public Hearing for KCPD sewage treatment plant. DWQ.
- Fact Sheet for sewage treatment plant. DWQ.
- Feasibility study for water supply and wastewater treatment. Anderson Engineering. (includes brief development plans)
- Spreadsheets of data and notes for sewage treatment plant. xlsx file.
- Wasteload Analysis. Shope.
- Note: Kane Creek Road and King's Bottom are below the 100-year flood zone (156,440 cubic feet per second; see Year 2014 calibration table below). King's Bottom is an attachment bar, which are created by large eddies during large flood events. When the next large flood arrives, there will be slope failures at King's Bottom, and/or infrastructure will be crushed by all the driftwood and woody debris entrained within the flood flow and the recirculating eddy. When the flood recedes, the entire bottom will be replaced by an entirely new and different attachment bar, which may be larger, smaller, or become an island, or dissappear altogether.
- Note: This is a preliminary discussion based on public information that is limited, or withheld. At some point a request for information will be provided via GRAMA Request.
DISCUSSION ABOUT 100-YEAR FLOODS
- Defining a 100-year flood is related to general acceptable policies for government agencies and insurance providers.
- Nature is random, unpredictable, and extreme. For example, the 20th century was the wettest century in the last 2000-years, according to calibrated tree-ring data. Yet, the Colorado River in the 20th century did not have a 100-year flood event.
- Paleoflood hydrology is providing data about the frequency and magnitude of prehistoric flood events.
- This data was recently calibrated for the Colorado River Basin above the confluence with the Green River, and as follows:
- A 100-year flood would have a peak discharge ranging from 156,440 to 179,050 cfs.
- A 500-year flood would have a peak discharge ranging from 224,780 to 265,570 cfs.
- A 1000-year flood would have a peak discharge ranging from 256,740 to 310,770 cfs.
- Source: A 2000 year natural record of magnitudes and frequencies for the largest Upper Colorado River floods near Moab, Utah. Noam Greenbaum, Tessa M. Harden, Victor R. Baker, John Weisheit, Michael L. Cline, Naomi Porat, Rafi Halevi, and John Dohrenwend; 2014.
- Phase 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 is in Area 1
- Area 1 is between the Colorado River and Kane Creek Road.
- Phase 6 is in Area 4
- Area 4 is between the Colorado River and Kane Creek Road.
- Phase 7 is in Area 5
- Area 5 is between Kane Creek Road and bedrock.
- Phase 8 is in Area 2
- Area 2 is between Colorado River and Kane Creek Road.
- Phase 9 is in Area 6
- Area 6 is beween Colorado River and Kane Creek Road.
- Source: FEMA Maps and Anderson Engineering (see document section above).
- October 28, 2021 - Kane Creeks future a research and innovation hub. By Carter Pape for Moab Times-Independent.
- October 28, 2021 - Kane Creek Project leaves some residents in lurch. By Carter Pape for Moab Times-Independent.
- Septmber 08, 2022 - County opts to keep thumbs on Kane Creek Development. By Sophia Fisher for Moab Times-Independent.
- September 08, 2022 - New special Service District established for Kane Springs. By Rachel Fixsen for Moab Sun News.
- June 01, 2023 - Kane Creek Development Pursues Wastewater Plant. Sophia Fisher for Moab Times-Independent.
- June 14, 2023 - 50 Residents Protest Kane Creek Treatment Plant. Sophia Fisher for Moab Times-Independent.
- June 29, 2023 - We are honestly trying to be good neighbors. By Sophia Fisher for Moab Times-Independent.
- Securities and Exchange Commission Document for Kane Creek LLC
- Request To Grand County For Sanitary Sewer Service
- May 25, 2023 - Kane Creek South End Snow Melt Flooding at 37,000 cubic feet per second. jpg.
- Kane Creek PD Plat Map. jpg.
- Read about the hundreds of paleoflood reports at this website.
- FEMA website for flood zones in Grand County, Utah
Talk about this article...