The forests of southeastern Utah are threefold: the pine/aspen canopy of laccolithic mountains, the juniper/pinyon cover of high plateaus, and the willow/cottonwood galleries of riparian corridors. The connection of these forest canopies with our water resources in arid lands is of vital importance.
The Manti-La Sal National Forest manages the La Sal and Abajo Mountains. The Bureau of Land Management manages the Henry Mountains and the majority of the high plateaus and riparian corridors. Navajo Mountain is managed by the tribal government of the Navajo Nation. The remainder is managed by Utah State and the National Park Service.
Forest Service Rulemaking
- Documents and appendices
- Forest Service rulemaking home page
- Notice of new rulemaking for national forests
- Federal Register Notice
- USDA rulemaking blog
- Meeting schedule
- 1986 - 2000 forest plan (cache of plan & amendments)
- 2004 - Strawberry Watershed Restoration Report. USFS.
- 2005 - Moab face analysis final
- 2007 - Groundwater Drinking Water Source Protection Zones and Sole Source Aquifers on the Moab Unit Manti LaSal NF
- 2009 - Fire related debris flows in Northern Utah. Richard E. Giraud et al.
- 2009 - Tushar Grazing Allotment (Fishlake National Forest).
- 2010 - Solutions to the Rising Costs of Fighting Fires in the Wildland-Urban Interface. Headwaters Economics.
- 2010 - Strategic Plan.
- 2010 - Water, Climate Change, and Forests.
- 2010 - Getting Burned:Guide to Wildfire Suppression. FUSEE.
- Forest Responses to Increasing Aridity in SW USA. Williams et al.
- 2011 - Ecological values of beavers in Esclanate Watershed. ECONW.
- 2011 - Watershed Condition Framework. USFS.
- 2011 - Brumley Ridge Grazing Alternatives. USFS.
- 2005 - Willow Basin fire prevention. Letter to residents.
- 2007 - Willow Basin scoping Letter
- 2007 - Willow Basin public notice
- 2007 - Willow Basin public notice correction
- 2008 - Willow Basin proposed action
- 2008 - Willow Basin injuntion notice
- 2008 - Willow Basin public meeting announcement
- 2009 - Wilow Basin environmental assessment
- 2009 - Need and Purpose
- 2010 - Willow Basin: Desired Future Condidons
- 2010 - Draft Wildland Urban Interface Fuel Reduction Project
- 2010 - Maps of Wildland Urban Interface Boundary